expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 11 April 2019

Siem Reap with Tuesday Report Day 2


Day 1 Click HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Destination: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration: 5D4N, 14 Feb to 18 Feb 2019
Mode of Travel: Self-organised.  We had 3 private vans for transport and local guide (www.facebook.com/Jeepxplr) who's now a very dear friend to us
Flight: Jetstar
Hotel: Khmer Mansion Boutique Hotel (Apsara Double Pool View Suite - $379) and one night at Khmer Mansion Residence
www.khmermansionresidence.com

Weather: Warm and dry around 30°C
Currency: USD most of the time though Cambodian Riel can be use
Time difference: 1 hour behind Singapore


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


15.02.2019





By the time this post is out, the documentary on our trip is already aired in Tuesday Report 星期二特写 on 9 Apr.  3 days of filming was amazingly condensed into this 22mins programme.  It's also out in Youtube, so here you go:

I didn't do any talking, I just appeared darting around behind or flashed by, heehee.... And heng, they never include unglam scenes of us crying lolxx....  Tears of joy are beyond words and joy of giving is more than money can ever buy.

Voluntary work may not be easy but we were well taken care with good accommodation and food to give us all the energy we needed to move on.

Morning in Khmer Mansion Residence.

I really don't mind to nua here and do absolutely nothing lolxx....


This place was so awesome, couldn't help to sigh that I had to leave.
In love with the corridor's natural sandstone, so beautiful.

My youngest kid sis and I walked to the poolside cafe for breakfast.


We were very early at 7am, cafe bo lang, guests only started to walk in when we were done.


Simple spread of buffet for us to nibble on while waiting for our order to come.  Both the buffet and a-la-cart breakfast included for the stay.



I took some porridge and milk.

My order came which I ate them with porridge.  I had some fruits from the buffet bar after these.

My sis's egg ben was more than enough to fill her up.

After breakfast, I unwillingly check out.  A krama (Cambodian scarf) was given to us as a souvenir.  I love it very much and had been wearing it for quite a few times.
Beauty cam saves numerous lives including mine.

Bye bye gorgeous Khmer Mansion Residence T__T oh gosh..... but I'll be back!

Staff from the Residence accompanied us in a tuk tuk to Khmer Mansion Boutique.

Scrolling down, some of the following photos were taken by my team members.  Taking photos actually not easy de... glad laid back a little bit and to be more focus on work...

We reached and meet up with the rest of our team members to set off together.
First stop was to get the stationery.

Second was food and groceries.

At the same time, baguettes as well.

3 vans were filled up.

We reached Ta Kam School around 10am.


It's bougainvillea, but I had no idea how a shrub became a tree.

Camera kept rolling, my kid sis was all stiff up.  My heart ached a little to see her so tired.

Inspiring Stars gave the school a new roof as the previous one was leaking when it rains.

The debris of the old roof tiles were still left behind the school.

We used back the same supplier for the uniforms and slippers.


The same school bell was still around.

Not looking at the filming crews, ditched my camera aside, I had never been so focus.  My motive was to distribute the items as much as I could so that others could be interviewed or be with my kid sis who needed assistance.
I was happy doing what I could.

Distributing uniforms were easy, making sure the sizes were not too small for them was always the most challenging part.

This was the reason we made them wear the new uniform on the spot, at the same time, it's easier to give a head count.

So cute de...

By usual sequence, after uniform, slippers.
Perhaps one day, more proper roads would be constructed and more mud paths would be covered up, the students then can have proper school shoes.  Meanwhile, slippers are still practical.

We distributed stationery, some food and tote bags to the students!

Most of the students didn't have a school bag, so we thought this was good.

We gave them yummy baguettes too.

Close up pic of my kid sis, founder of Inspiring Stars with a Ta Kam junior.
I am a free thinker, but I believe somewhere up there, there must be a god watching over us and bless us.... 惜福。

Meanwhile, the guys were doing a great job mounting on the plaque.  This was requested by the school so as to encourage more students to study here.



We had a mega group photo before dismissing the students.

The villagers were waiting for us patiently.

And this photo (not taken by me) appeared on the chinese newspaper!

=D

It's either age's catching up or I was simply dragged and weigh down by my own fats, really tired after merely a morning's work.  We had traditional khmer food for lunch at the usual hammock restaurant while my kid sis and filming crews still wrapping up in the school.
Their menu never change one lolxx...   Not much appetite though I was hungry (good appetite will do my body more harm, so it was good...).  I ate quietly with complicating thoughts in my mind....

Somebody must had rang up the ice cream vendor, he drove in just the right time when we finished lunch.

We were like.... CHIONG arh!!!

2 scoops of coconut and 1 scoop of chocolate :P~~

After lunch we visited a slum area.

That's their kitchen.


It only while editing the photos I realized that the pancakes were on a electric fan's cover, waahaahaahaa....

Stunned but not sure why lolxx...


I happily distributing soft toys to the kids, they were so excited and happy.

I found Mr Bean's Teddie, so cute and new almost didn't want to give it up lolxx...

 All smelly and sticky, we were finally back to our hotel around 4.30pm.  Khmer Mansion Boutique was nice, but I was missing Khmer Mansion Residence dearly.


The washroom was wet all over after a shower.  The water trap on the floor and shower curtain didn't help.

But the washroom was still rustic and lovely.  Almost wanted to have something like this for my house's common toilet, but hubby was against the idea.

The kids had boundless energy, their laughter from the pool could be heard from my balcony.


My team members went in all directions, some in the pool, some went serious shopping, some nua in the room, I went to foot massage again.

Temple Pub stopped their ear deafening blasting, what a great relieve.  Come to think of it, it must had becos' of Valentine's Day yesterday.

I made my way to less crowded small lanes again and walked into this shop to kill time.


I bought a Jambei seed (相思豆) bracelet for about USD1.70.
I hand looked so fair against the bright red, I love it.

If you are interested, this is the shop's name and address:

Wandering around Pub Street.

There were more and more BBQ stalls now.

Durians which I didn't try till today.

I cherished time being alone but enjoyed companions too.  Meet up with some of the team members for dinner.
Viva Restaurant
73 2 Thnou St, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia

Drunk a bit of this and ended up laughing like crazy all the way back to the hotel after dinner >.<

Pear Cider USD2.50

Amok USD4.50
It's cambodian otak, very mildly spicy.  Could chose either chicken or fish, we had fish that day.

Mango Salad USD3.50
Citrus and refreshing but weirdly came with rice.  We just shared and scooped whatever we want lolxx..

Rice rolls USD3
Very much like Viet's and it's delicious!

Egg Plant with minced meat USD5.
I like egg plants as much as eggs.  Anyhow anyway it's cooked, I would clean and lick up the plate.

Pork Chop USD5.
We weren't big eaters so that's about all for 5 of us.  With another 4 drinks not in pics total damage USD31.50.

We came back to the hotel, others were watching fire works from the poolside, we only manage to caught a bit of it.  Not sure what's the occasion but sure a nice way to end the day.

So, done for Day 2.  Day 3 was another heart warming beautiful day.  Thanks for reading and help to spread the love, thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment